Service Magic Faces Mass Complaints Nationwide

Sep 13, 2009
review #157098

Service Magic faces ongoing consumer complaints, distrust, and serious consumer concerns over their negative business practices.

Negative complaints continue to mount against Service Magic home improvement online contracting services from unhappy consumers that have tried their online contracting services.

The complaints are so negative, that NC Consumer News has decided to expose the negative business practices of Service Magic and issue a consumer alert on this company.

Service Magic is an online home improvement and repair contracting company that operates in all 50 states online, and offer some very impressive Internet advertising to entice consumers, but this is just a veil of deception, as many customers continue to find out first hand, after doing business with Service Magic.

Customers continue to complain that neither Service Magic, nor the contractors they use are professional, and many of these customer complaints are validated by the unprofessional,

Sub-standard, poor quality work that they received from many Service Magic contractors.

In one customer's word, "This Company does not thoroughly screen those they recommend for service of any type in your home.

If you happen to have good luck with them it was a coincidence and not the rule, way too many complaints to list here however most recently they send a Company here for Painting and tile work that were comprised of illegal aliens. I questioned them about it and they avoided the subject. I submitted a complaint to service magic that refused to publish my findings condoning laborers who work for registered Service Magic Contractors to use unsponsored aliens."

In another customer's words, they said this about Service Magic, "They claim to have a "10-point" screening process that all contractors go through to be a part of that network. This is a very sore subject for me as I know some people who have had their trust "violated" by those who have been let in their home to do work. Unfortunately, Service Magic's process is mostly style over substance."

Service Magic is a contractor service that any and all consumers should be weary of before allowing their unprofessional contractors into your home to do work.

Consumers should at least request that any Service Magic contractor present their business license, company bonding, five customer references, and their company liability insurance policy, these are the minimum credentials that any legitimate contractor should make available to all customers that request their services.

Please follow the links below to read detailed customer complaints about Service Magic.

For further updates on companies with negative business practices, or to file a consumer complaint against, or report a scam please visit our web site at:

©2009 this article is the sole property of NC Consumer News and shall not be reproduced or reprinted without owners permission

a9095aa
Had an experience with Service Magic?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
nb99

Nov 28, 2012

They send me 3 contractors and I hired the one I wanted. I have had laminate, tile, windows, doors, foundation repair, trees, and landscaping done and have not been disappointed...I never paid any money up front except for the windows and doors, and thay was for the cost of the windows and doors. All other monies were paid after the job was completed to my satisfaction...

C T

Oct 16, 2012

WOW - I had the worst experience ever with Service Magic. In October 2010, I contacted them for a TV repair. They sent dispatched a vendor who gave me the cost of the repair but indicated he would need to wait for a part. AFter not hearing back from the vendor, I contacted the office and spoke with (I presume the owner/operator) and explained my situation. I was then asked how much I was told it would cost to repair my TV. I have him the numbers and he indicated that the cost was incorrect(not sure how he came to that) and he would personally come our to take a look at my set. After going thru some - whatever - he repeated to me exactly what the first technician had stated. However, now all of a sudden the cost for the part need - went up $100 dollars. I immediately told him to put my TV back together (I have no clue what he went in and messed with) and leave my residence. Upon contacting Service Master, I was informed that they could send another technician from a different company. I told them enough is enough and delete my name from their system and never contact me again or I would report them. Never heard another word back. Oh, yeah, I had given the 1st technician $100 to get started. Never saw one penny back. Looks like KARMA truly is a B*%@%.

Scammed by HomeAdvisor aka Ser

Oct 08, 2012

I'm pretty angry with ServiceMagic who now call themselves HomeAdvisor. I guess they needed a name change as their reputation for shoddy service is catching up to them.

Service Magic or Home Advisor is all talk. When you receive shoddy service they will not refund money, your best recourse is taking the contractor to small claims court. When the despite arises HomeAdvisor backs off their happy "customer service first" talk and claim they are only an advertising agency (their exact words).

Avoid them at all costs.

Trung

Sep 24, 2012

I gave ServiceMagic a second chance to do business with me, but ServiceMagic did not even honor a written agreement. No one

at ServiceMagic wanted to resolve the issue. No one at ServiceMagic ever called me back after I made several calls and sent

emails to Darrick and customer service. And then ServiceMagic sent me the following email:

"Final notice! Because we have not received a response to numerous inquiries regarding your outstanding balance, your

account is now being staged to go to an external collections agency within the next few days. To pay your balance and avoid

having your account sent to our outside Collection Agency, having additional collection fees and/or litigation fees

assessed and possibly a negative reporting against your credit, please provide a valid method of payment below or call

Customer Service toll-free at (877) 947-3639. Account summary: XX. Current balance due: $1,336.55. This is your final

opportunity to resolve the matter."

In this complaint, events are described in chronological order. Consumers' information is deleted from emails for their

protection and is displayed as "consumers' information." My name is Trung and I am the owner of AC Pro (licensed HVAC

contractor) in Huntsville, Alabama. I am writing this complaint to ServiceMagic because I have been set up, lied to,
... Show more

TD

Sep 12, 2012

I am actually quite surprised by the negative commentary. I have used service magic now to find and hire a painter, electrical contractor; AC contractor and Kitchen Refacing Contractor. I have had nothing but good luck doing so. Three of contractors were professional, of quality and delivered what they said they would. The fourth (AC) was fine in the long run but expensive but not a fault of service magic. I would use them again.

Paul

Sep 06, 2012

I am a contractor who tried SM.I am very unhappy due to the poor leads.2 out of 3 leads are bogus.Just someone wanting to know what kind of material to use or something along those lines.Out of 10 leads you MAY get 1 job.By then you owe 500 bucks.My advice RUN away from this company

Milton Rice.

Jun 25, 2012

I am a remodeler; I have used Service magic for 10 years...nothing but happy costumers...www.mandwremodeling.com

An angry victim of ServiceMagi

Jun 22, 2012

I joined up with ServiceMagic on June 18th, and by June 22nd --- the first day I was able to access my account --- I learned that I already owed them $259.97 (I say "owed them", however I intend to dispute these charges.) Of the eight "leads" that I've been charged for, only one of them has actually resulted in work, which was a very small job that netted me only $200, before expenses. It's glaringly obvious that this is not a workable business model, and I urge all service providers who are considering enrolling with ServiceMagic to be very, very careful. The "leads" that I've received have turned out to be, in several cases, people who told me immediately that, no, we are not looking for a contractor, and in other cases, despite having contacted the homeowner the instant the lead came in, I was told that "There's already a guy here from ServiceMagic." They do not appear to vet their service providers or the homeowners, they will take your money without your express authorization, and the kind of relationship they portray is far, far removed from the reality of the manner in which they conduct business. After four days --- FOUR DAYS! --- I'm at a net loss, and I'm very good at what I do. I can only imagine what might have happened if I hadn't gotten on top of it when I did. Very, very disappointed, and more than just a little angry, I urge you in the strongest possible terms to stay away from these bloodsuckers.

www.bidproconnect.com

Jun 20, 2012

Check out www.bidproconnect.com, it is a 100% FREE WAY TO FIND LOCAL LEADS!! No more paying for leads, no monthly subscriptions, no hidden costs or fees. Unlimited access! Exposure to thousands of projects with no limit to number of leads, bids, or awarded jobs. With no limitations, BidProConnect allows you to be as successful as you want to be. Everything you need to find leads, communicate, bid, and be awarded jobs all in one convenient location! No need to leave your home or office, everything you need is right at your finger tips. Did I say it is free? A free place for you to advertise your business with no hidden costs or paid upgrades. Check it out, www.bidproconnect.com!

Disgusted

Jun 01, 2012

I hired a contractor from your site, who I thought had been "screened".
He was a scam artist, who has numerous complaints against him by the State. I'm sure thanks to your site, he will find another "mark" to pay all the fines they will levy against him. Just a contractor's ponzi scheme- thanks for nothing!

SJ

May 29, 2012

I have to agree with some of the others on the positive side of this. I've hired an electrician, a roofer, and a garage door contractor referred by Service Magic. For each job I interviewed three contractors and selected the one I thought was best. Some of the contractors they referred were clearly duds. The ones I hired were terrific and I've rehabed several houses and have had relatively a lot of experience with contractors. I urge any consumer to trust their instincts when checking out any contractor. Sadly, my experience is that the contractor industry is filled with semi-competent, half a** people. Check for references, BBB rating (not worth much), and get firm bids. And NEVER ever pay up front for the work. You can pay some percentage, but my experience is the only time you have any leverage on a contractor is when you owe them money.

C Tierney

May 18, 2012

How do I unsubscribe from service magic

Burger

May 15, 2012

I got very lucky with Service Magic with a guy to do yard work and with an air conditioner contractor. There are some winners in there. Don't discount everyone.

Classified

May 15, 2012

Having worked for ServiceMagic I can tell you first hand that the screen process they use for contractors is flawed.

They are not to be trusted for ANY reason.

Bonnie

Mar 18, 2012

I've used Service Magic a few times now and I found the best roofer and the best plumber - good work, totally fair and honest, completely reliable (to the point that they phone if they will be even 10 minutes late for a job). Do not write off all the SM members for the sake of a bad few - as a consumer you still have a responsibility to *** and make a decision on the service offered. I would advise that you still do your homework, no matter from where you are getting your proposed contractors.

Nunya

Jan 29, 2012

From a contractors point of view, Service Magic is bad for us too, bad leads, cost way to much. Then try to cancel your account with them. They tell you it's cancelled then 30 days later you get email saying your leads will be turned back on. They haven't canceled anything, they just turned them off for a while. Total Bunk!

Patricia Maratung

Jan 20, 2012

BMBEU came highly recommended by Service Magic with five stars. This contractor was extremely unnprofessional, rude, condescending. Claimed that they saw a ghost in my downstaris bathroom. Shoddy work with unsupervised workers. Falling asleep on the couch was one excuse used for absence.. Failure to meet contractual 15 October 2011 deadline un-finishing the job in December. Broke antique bathroom mirror deliberately, blatantly placed in garbage. We had to finish the job after being threatened for the final check although the job was unfinished. Should have called the cops. Presently taking advantage of my regretful neighbor who is also using his services. Being flood victims, we felt they took advantage of our unfortunate situation and made things worse. Service Magic is refusing to accept my report of what transpired over the last four months and is saying that they do not accept negative comments. This contractor were indeed criminals. ServiceMagic should not be allowed to monopolize contractual services.

Joe B. Kelley /JBK Constructio

Jan 09, 2012

Look people Service Magic is not a "contractor" they will not sign a contract with you on the work you will be preforming, they will not take any responsibility for the work done by one of their "contractors" and you cannot go to the Contractors State Licensing Board to complain about them. They are just another middleman(leach) on the construction industry. If you want good work done to your house you must pay a decent price for the work, it is what it is. nothing is cheap these days. Contact a local Contractor through word of mouth and check out his work in the recent past. DO NOT be lured by this website parasite do the footwork yourself and find a repitable Contractor there are plenty of us out there.
JBK

vicki

Dec 04, 2011

DO NOT USE SERVICE MAGIC..they refer you to *** clients...trust me on that one. They claim they are not affiliated with the companies they refer you to, but that is a lie!!

Lawsuit

Nov 27, 2011

Updates to the review posted by author:

This lawsuit has now been accepted for Federal Court by the Judge, and the entire complaint may be read (free)here: www.kerodin-lawsuit-against-bad-faith-businesses.com/
Nov 25, 12:09 AM

Original review:

A civil lawsuit was filed October 19, 2011 in United States Federal Court against ServiceMagic, Inc., their subsidiary Market Hardware, and Market Hardware's CEO Brian Kraff for bad faith business practices, unfair and deceptive trade practices, unfair competition, cybersquatting, and other serious violations of law.

If you are a service contractor and have ever had a complaint against ServiceMagic, Inc, please consider visiting our website at servicecontractorcomplaints.com and fill out an Affidavit.

You can have your experience submitted in Federal Court!

We have provided a PDF at our site for an affidavit - so all you need to do it download the form, fill it out with your experience, have it notarized at your bank and then mail it to us for inclusion in the suit.

servicecontractorcomplaints.com

1-20 of 51 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Service Magic.
Filing a new complaint about
×